Sunday, December 9, 2012

Remember to Listen

Without the sparkle in your eye, are you able to see as clearly?

I was in car accident last night. I won't go into to many details here but I did get hit more than once, the second time t-boned on my (the drivers) side. I am so blessed to not only have survived but to have done so with minimal injuries. Although as each hour post accident passes, I become more and more sore, barely able to open my mouth, overwhelmed with the trauma and the beauty of it all, I cry tears of gratitude along with tears of fear.

Minutes before the accident I thought to myself, "I don't feel it. I don't feel connected. I don't feel purpose. I can't feel mystery!" My heart cried out for the ability to listen, almost angrily. Moments later I'm spinning around the freeway like a top in slow motion and now, I have battle wounds on my warrior like face. I couldn't stop shaking, my mouth seemed to not stop bleeding. Shaking bleeding, laughing, crying, making friends along the way with one of my best friends by my side, I thought of my dear sweet love, of my life and the life I've yet to live.

Death is one of the few certainties in this life. Any of us could leave this world, at any moment. The car accident I experienced yesterday could have easily taken my life. I am not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of not living.
When I am not connecting I am not living. When I am not spending time in nature, I do not feel alive. When I am not helping others, I am empty. When I am not with her, I feel alone.

This is a difficult time. As my friend drove me home from the hospital, Owl flew out in front of us. Owl has been ever present in my life the past couple of years and has taught me so much, including the ability to see clearly in the darkness.

Love and Gratitude

No comments:

Post a Comment